Thursday, January 6, 2011

This Weeks Menu

So we were given a lot of cheese for Christmas.  I grated up 2 blocks of mozzarella in the food processor and 1 block of cheddar. Monday One pot of Mac and Cheese (lunch) in the crock pot.  Pork chops on the BBQ with rice and frozen veg in a cheese sauce for supper. Tuesday Lunch was egg, bacon and cheese sandwiches on English muffins with carrot and celery sticks.  I made one very tasty lasagna with Caesar salad(supper).  Wednesday Lunch was tomato soup and grilled cheese. Then for supper was baked chicken legs with roasted potatoes and salad. We needed a break from noodles and cheese. Thursday With left over spaghetti sauce from the lasagna I made mini pizza's on English muffins with cheese and salami sandwich meat for pepperoni topped with green peppers (lunch) and tonight we are having cheese burgers.  Friday Lunch will probably be 'clean out the fridge' meal and I think we will make our own fish and chips.  Fridays I like to do a kind of -eat out but eat in- supper.
My kids haven't pooped since Monday but they are well fed.


Mac and Cheese Crock pot
1 small onion
1 large stalk of celery
puree in food processor.  Saute in fry pan with 1 tbsp of  olive oil.
Boil 2 cups of mac noodles til just half cooked.
In food processor grate 2 cups of cheese. (I grated all of it and kept in the fridge to use as needed)
add 1 tbsp of flour to sauteed onion and celery. stir and add 1 cup of milk.
Simmer until it starts to thicken.
Add 1 can of mushroom soup and 1 can of water. Whisk
Simmer until it bubbles.  Add 1 tsp of mustard and pepper.
Turn off heat and add cheese.
Put noodles in crock pot and stir in sauce.  Top with Parmesan.  the Sauce should be runny. It will thicken as it cooks.  Keep on low for 1 hour.  Ready to serve.
For variation add ham or cooked bacon or salsa.

Baked Chicken legs or thighs
I buy these on sale and they make a quick tasty supper.
Put meat in glass dish flat and pour 3/4 cup Italian dressing on top.  bake at 450 for 30 mins.

I often will try to cook more than one thing at a time to save time.  I put 6 potatoes in the oven around my cookie sheet when I bake my cookies or muffins in the afternoon while the kids are sleeping.  Then for supper I can cut them into wedges and make my own fries.  I also bake them at 450 with Italian dressing on them as well.  Also for 30 mins.  This will work well with left over boiled potatoes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment